I’m thinking of getting a secondary computer, now that our spare Asus laptop has had display issues (probably from the hinge damage that it got out of nowhere). I’m interested with these ultra books as they call them. Low power, light and fast (c/o SSD’s), long battery life and very portable.
At first, I wanted to get the Macbook Air, but then realized that I would be installing and running Windows on it so I decided to look elsewhere. Then I saw the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. It almost trumps the Macbook Air 11” or 13” in most features. It has double the SSD storage and RAM. It also has an edge-to-edge 13-inch display that makes it at par with the 11” profile of the Macbook Air without sacrificing screen size.
Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Specs:
- Silver Anodized Aluminum case
- 13.3″ inch (1366×768 pixels) Gorilla Glass
- 128GB Solid State Drive
- Intel Core i5 Processor (with i7 option)
- 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
- Intel HD Graphics 3000
- Battery Life: 8 hours (6-cell 47 Whr Battery)
- 2 USB ports. (1x2.0 and 1x3.0, HDMI, Mini Displayport )
- Backlit Keyboard and Glass keypad
- 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
It was advertised as $999 in the USA, so I though, “hey not that bad”. Unfortunately, Dell Philippines is selling the same unit locally for P59,590 for the the default configuration and 79,990 or i7 2.80Ghz. I was expecting at least a starting price of 45,000…So..back to the drawing board.