Following the USA FAA’s green-lighting the use of gadgets during flights, the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has allowed the use of mobile phones and laptops inside the plane as noted in Memorandum Circular No. 52-13. Below are the Conditions and Limitations:
When the aircraft doors are still open.
- Use of laptops and mobile phones (SMS and Voice) are allowed unless prohibited by the Pilot-In-Command or Senior Cabin Crew. (in some cases)
- While refueling, no usage of laptop using broadband connection and cellular phones.
When the aircraft doors are close.
- Portable electronic devices muse be on Silent Mode.
- SMS and Internet are allowed.
- No Voice Calls.
- Games on mobile devices are allowed provided that it’s on silent mode or used with a headset.
- Use of music MP3 players should be used with earphones. No external speakers are allowed.
The new policy will be implemented as soon after 15 days of publication. Cebu Pacific and other local airlines have expressed support to this new initiative while some have pointed that clear guidelines would still have to be made.
- source: Inquirer.net